Before image of slate antiquated slate steps.

The idea was to mask the unsightly tiny poorly constructed slate exterior steps that never had a real purpose. Besides the steps, the client was also accosted with a primitive half oval basement window that besides being an eyesore, could have been a risk with small children. I was asked to design and build a small 6’x5′ wooden deck.

The removal of the steps would have been messy and expensive, so I decided to use them as the start of my framing. Nailing a series of pressure treated 2’x4’s around the perimeter to establish my square baseline. Building and framing from the top down seemed the only option for a square even result. Using pressure treated 5’1/2″ blanks I completed the top of the deck area, spacing out the rafters at 16″ inch intervals. Then the risers were built and the math worked out to four steps, the last one closes to the ground had an additional 2″ piece that was attached and scribed to accommodate the uneven slate. [su_divider top=”no”][su_divider top=”no”][/su_divider]

After Image of completed Deck, New Door and custom flower boxes.

The risers were primed twice, and two additional coats of Benjamin soft gloss was applied. The tops decking was just coated with a tinted waterproofing which has since been darkened a few more shades. Came out well, considering that it is a free floating deck. Very solid and really completes the surrounding area. The new flower boxes that I built plus the interior patio area that was also completed with a fresh new facelift.

The Total cost of materials for the deck including finish paints came out to just over two hundred plus 4 days of labor.

[su_divider top=”no”][su_divider top=”no”][/su_divider]

Can not resist adding some classic Deck Humor…Enjoy